BECAUSE: Bach, Gounod, Beethoven, and Bierey
Adaptation is at the center of this beautifully interwoven program. Repurposing harmonies and melodies by composers of the past has often been an inspiring point of departure for creative minds. With works by Bach, Beethoven, Gounod and a new commission based on the song “Because” by The Beatles, this is a program that promises a number of rewarding surprises for the listener.
- Charles Gounod, Requiem in C Major
- J.S. Bach, Prelude No 1 in C major, BWV 846
- Charles Gounod, Ave Maria (Meditation after the first Piano Prelude by Johann Sebastian Bach)
- Beethoven, Adagio sostenuto from Piano Sonata no. 14 in C sharp minor “Quasi una fantasia,” Op. 27, No. 2
- Gottlob Benedict Bierey, Kyrie (after the Adagio from the “Moonlight” Sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven)
- Trevor Weston, commission by Musica Viva NY – based on “Because” by The Beatles